The Doctor has had at least thirteen, but some are very similar.
- Mark I ("Fury from the Deep"-"The War Games") - Used by the First Doctor in "Venusian Lullaby" (Virgin Missing Adventures novel #3), and the Second in "Fury from the Deep" and "The War Games". (see here)
- Mark II ("Inferno"-"Carnival of Monsters") - Long, with a silver handle and multiple interchangeable heads. (see here)
- Mark III ("Frontier in Space"-"The Visitation") - Used by the Fourth Doctor in "Robot" & "City of Death", as well as other stories. This was also used by the Fifth Doctor until it exploded. (see here)
- Mark IV ("Doctor Who") - A mark III replica, used by both the Seventh and Eighth Doctors. (see here)
- Mark IV ½ ("The Day of the Doctor") - Similar to Marks III and IV, introduced retroactively along with its owner, the War Doctor. (see here)
- Mark V ("Rose"- "Smith and Jones") - Used by the Ninth and Tenth Doctors, until it was overloaded while trying to modify an X-Ray machine on the moon. (See here)
- Mark VI ("Gridlock"-"The Eleventh Hour") - After this one was destroyed while trying to get the Atraxi to notice Prisoner Zero, the TARDIS built the Eleventh Doctor a new model. (See here)
- Mark VII ("The Eleventh Hour"-"A Christmas Carol") - With a green light and retractable claws, this was used by the Eleventh Doctor until a Fog Shark bit it in half. (See here)
- Mark VIII ("The Impossible Astronaut"-"The Almost People") - A replica of the Mark VII, given to the Ganger Doctor. (See here)
- Mark IX ("The Almost People"-"The Witch's Familiar") - Another Mark VII replica, immediately provided by the TARDIS. (See here)
- Mark X ("Hell Bent" - "The Husbands of River Song") - Given to River Song. (See here)
- Mark XI ("The Pilot" - "Oxygen") The Series 10 specially filmed trailer introduced this new Sonic Screwdriver, which appears to look similar to the Mark X. It was used by the Twelfth Doctor from "The Pilot" until it was destroyed by a Smartsuit in "Oxygen". (See here)
- Mark XII ("Extremis" - "Twice Upon a Time") - Another Mark X/XI replica, made to replace the one the Smartsuit broke. It was used by the hologram Doctor in "Extremis" and the real Doctor from "The Pyramid at the End of the World" onwards. (See here)
- Mark XIII ("The Woman Who Fell to Earth" onwards) - Made by the Thirteenth Doctor to replace the Mark XII (lost when she fell from the TARDIS), it was used by her throughout Series 11. (See here)
(The Sixth Doctor also used one in "The Nightmare Fair" (Big Finish audio story) & "The Ultimate Adventure" (Big Finish audio story), but since both these stories are in non-visual media, we don't know what this model looked like or if it differed from the one used by the Seventh and Eighth Doctors.)
However, as the Moment said in "The Day of the Doctor", "It's the same screwdriver. Same software, different case."
It should be noted that the Doctor is not the only person who has a sonic screwdriver.
- River Song had one as well (although it was a variant of the Tenth Doctor's).(See above)
- Sarah Jane Smith had a "sonic lipstick" (a screwdriver in drag), seen in many episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures. (see here)
- Matron Cofelia ("Miss Foster") had a "sonic pen" in "Partners in Crime" (again, a screwdriver under another name). (See here)
- Older Amy, in "The Girl Who Waited", built herself a "sonic probe" that she eventually admitted was a screwdriver. (See here)
- Romana also had one. (see here)