FANDOM

Ask a question in the box below, or search using the box above.

As you enter your question, our massive, TARDIS-sized computers will search out other similar questions. So be sure to check the list that pops up before asking your question. Once you've decided that your question has not been asked before, push the not-so-threatening blue button below.

If you want to ask questions needing speculation or people's opinions, please do it in our Watercooler forum, not here. The main Q&A space is for questions with definitive factual answers. Thanks!

To avoid spoilers in the main Q&A section, please do to not post information about stories that have not been released in the UK, or ask for information about stories that have not yet aired there.

  • Why did the female companions of the 9th, 10th and 12th Doctors had romantic relationships with black men instead of white ones?

    Rose Tyler: Mickey Smith.

    Donna Noble: Lance Bennett. Shaun Temple.

    Clara Oswald: Danny Pink.

    I'm not being racist. I just curious.

      Loading editor
    • If you have to say "I'm not being racist" you're probably being at least racially insensitive. To answer your question, because they just did. Why shouldn't they?

        Loading editor
    • NightmareofEden wrote:
      If you have to say "I'm not being racist" you're probably being at least racially insensitive.

      And/or looking for a way to say that "white ones" are somehow victims of discrimination.

      To answer your question, because they just did. Why shouldn't they?

      Yes, they just did.

      Furthermore, in Rose's case, it wasn't "instead of white ones"; it was as well as at least one white one. OK, the Doctor isn't human but all the versions of him that Rose was involved with (Nine, Ten, Meta-crisis Ten) were white.

        Loading editor
    • Also, even if she didn't take it very far, Rose was at least interested in Jack Harkness & he's white, too.

      If you don't count the "white ones", the only one left (Mickey) is indeed black -- but it's you, not Rose (or the showrunners), who's neglecting the "white ones".

        Loading editor
    • Doctor 25 wrote:
      Why did the female companions of the 9th, 10th and 12th Doctors had romantic relationships with black men instead of white ones?

      Rose Tyler: Mickey Smith.

      Donna Noble: Lance Bennett. Shaun Temple.

      Clara Oswald: Danny Pink.

      I'm not being racist. I just curious.

      Because they want to  .

      I hope your curiosity has been satisfied .

        Loading editor
    • In the original series, the TV Movie and the Matt Smith era, the white female companions of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 11th Doctors had white boyfriends/husbands.


      Susan: David Campbell.

      Barbara Wright: Ian Chesterton.

      Vicki: Troilus.

      Polly: Ben Jackson.

      Jo Grant: Cliff Jones.

      Leela: Andred.

      Peri Brown: Yrcanos.

      Grace Holloway: Brian.

      Amy Pond: Rory Williams.

        Loading editor
    • Yes they did. Your point?

        Loading editor
    • Doctor 25 wrote:
      In the original series, the TV Movie and the Matt Smith era, the white female companions of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 11th Doctors had white boyfriends/husbands.


      Susan: David Campbell.

      Barbara Wright: Ian Chesterton.

      Vicki: Troilus.

      Polly: Ben Jackson.

      Jo Grant: Cliff Jones.

      Leela: Andred.

      Peri Brown: Yrcanos.

      Grace Holloway: Brian.

      Amy Pond: Rory Williams.

      Doctor 25: You could add Bill (Twelfth Doctor) to this list. Her girlfriend Heather was white. That is, you could add Bill unless you're excluding her for being black herself -- or for being lesbian.

        Loading editor
    • Also, you could add Martha (Tenth Doctor), who had both white (Tom Milligan) & black (Mickey Smith) romantic interests, not to mention her having had a yen for the Tenth Doctor. Again, that assumes you don't exclude her for being black.

        Loading editor
    • Doctor 25 wrote: In the original series, the TV Movie and the Matt Smith era, the white female companions of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 11th Doctors had white boyfriends/husbands.


      Susan: David Campbell.

      Barbara Wright: Ian Chesterton.

      Vicki: Troilus.

      Polly: Ben Jackson.

      Jo Grant: Cliff Jones.

      Leela: Andred.

      Peri Brown: Yrcanos.

      Grace Holloway: Brian.

      Amy Pond: Rory Williams.

      NightmareofEden wrote: Yes they did. Your point?

      My point is that these 9 couples were both white.

        Loading editor
    • Doctor 25 wrote:

      Doctor 25 wrote: In the original series, the TV Movie and the Matt Smith era, the white female companions of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 11th Doctors had white boyfriends/husbands.


      Susan: David Campbell.

      Barbara Wright: Ian Chesterton.

      Vicki: Troilus.

      Polly: Ben Jackson.

      Jo Grant: Cliff Jones.

      Leela: Andred.

      Peri Brown: Yrcanos.

      Grace Holloway: Brian.

      Amy Pond: Rory Williams.

      NightmareofEden wrote: Yes they did. Your point?

      My point is that these 9 couples were both white.

      I think the point that you are really making is that you have made an observation that the script writers were following certain guidelines as to what works or doesn't work or what was acceptable for any given story at the time .

      And as Doctor 10 has said (or at least that's what I'm saying) these stories are "fixed points in time" and there is nothing you can do to change that fact .

        Loading editor
    • Doctor 25 wrote:

      ...I'm not being racist. I just curious.

      I'm not being racist . I just BLACK AND WHITE  .

        Loading editor
    • Mickey Smith's grandmother and the rest of Martha Jones' family were black because she and Mickey were black (though Martha's father had a white girlfriend after he and his wife divorced. Martha was once engaged to Tom Milligan, who was white. But chose Mickey over him, both black).

        Loading editor
    • 2001:8003:2E21:FD00:2975:7179:E33B:48E3 wrote:

      Doctor 25 wrote:

      Doctor 25 wrote: In the original series, the TV Movie and the Matt Smith era, the white female companions of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 11th Doctors had white boyfriends/husbands.


      Susan: David Campbell.

      Barbara Wright: Ian Chesterton.

      Vicki: Troilus.

      Polly: Ben Jackson.

      Jo Grant: Cliff Jones.

      Leela: Andred.

      Peri Brown: Yrcanos.

      Grace Holloway: Brian.

      Amy Pond: Rory Williams.

      NightmareofEden wrote: Yes they did. Your point?

      My point is that these 9 couples were both white.

      I think the point that you are really making is that you have made an observation that the script writers were following certain guidelines as to what works or doesn't work or what was acceptable for any given story at the time .

      And as Doctor 10 has said (or at least that's what I'm saying) these stories are "fixed points in time" and there is nothing you can do to change that fact .

      The writers were following the Doctor's instructions IMPLICITLY , UNDERSTOOD , IMPLICITLY .

        Loading editor
    • 2001:8003:2E62:7F00:5D33:12D1:CB01:361D wrote:
      Doctor 25 wrote:
      Why did the female companions of the 9th, 10th and 12th Doctors had romantic relationships with black men instead of white ones?

      Rose Tyler: Mickey Smith.

      Donna Noble: Lance Bennett. Shaun Temple.

      Clara Oswald: Danny Pink.

      I'm not being racist. I just curious.

      Because they want to  .

      I hope your curiosity has been satisfied .

      The 25th Doctor's curiosity has been satisfied once and for all .

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message